Monday, August 16, 2010

REACHER SAID NOTHING...

I've been meaning to write some things that I've learned since reading the Reacher novels...but there are so many things, I thought it best to start with one.  "Reacher said nothing" is constantly repeated throughout the entire series.  When you stop to think about it or look at how it is being referenced, it becomes a pretty good piece of advice.  A piece of advice I could have used about ten years ago when I was being interrogated by Internal Affairs while employed with the Sheriff's Department.  My interview went something like this:

IA:  "Do you know why you're here?"
S:    "I think so."
IA:  "Want to tell us about it?"
S:    They must know so I guess I'll just talk.  "It has to do with the falsification of time cards by the..."
IA:  "Time Card fraud?  When did this happen?"
S:    Oopsie...that's not what this is about?  "Ughhh.  It's been going on for about a year..."

Do you really want to know how it ended?  I had been reporting time card violations and working with the Department of Labor for close to a year before my interview with Internal Affairs.  It was only a matter of time before they got involved.  So naturally, when they started with such a vague opening I jumped right in with my two cents worth.  Their real interest: sexually explicit e-mails that the supervisors had been sending back and forth.  If only someone had told me about the Reacher novels before then...

Wikipedia says the following:   Reacher's demeanor is stoic and he does not talk much.  Reacher frequently does not answer when people make statements or ask questions, nodding or shrugging preferring the other party to fill the silence. A recurring line in the novels is "Reacher said nothing."

So in the future when we are being pushed for information by employees, friends, family, and others, we should remember to insert our name in the following sentence: "Sabrina, Kate, Richard, Leah, Jacque, etc said nothing" -and follow that advice. Always let others fill the silence. If it works for Reacher; it will work for us, too.

6 comments:

Sara said...

I can relate. There are plenty of times when it is just easier to smile and nod than to say anything at all. :)

Unknown said...

I am going to start practicing this method. I need to learn to keep my mouth shut. I always seem to say more than is needed in conversations. Thanks for the good advise.

Unknown said...

I have to admit... I am smiling, almost giggling out loud!

Leah Anderson said...

I LOVE this! Leah said nothing...
What a crack-up!
I wanna party with you, but I will say nothing.

Cindy Westover said...

I would LOVE to adopt this motto
Cindy said nothing....yea right!
I love your blog, always good for a smile!

Unknown said...

Such wise counsel, Grasshopper! If only I could truly heed this advise and keep my friggin' mouth shut. Sadly, to button my lip at this point in time is going to require a hefty purchase in duct tape and someone holding a gun to my head!