Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Farm Fresh Murder by Paige Shelton

Well, I knew I was in for a good read when I noticed on the cover that this book came with recipes.  You can't possibly write a book showcasing the talents of the vendors participating in a Farmer's Market and not give us some of their secrets. And for the family of vendors at Bailey's Farmer's Market, there are more than their fair share of secrets going on!

Becca Robins, the towns unofficial crime fighter, lives on a small farm with her dog, Hobbit.  She sells jams and preserves at Bailey's, which happens to be run by her twin sister, Allison.  As the title of the book suggests, a murder has taken place at the market, and Becca, being the overly interested female that she is, gets right in the middle of it.  The suspect is her friend and fellow vendor, Abner Justen.  The victim; a former friend and long time enemy of Abner's, Matt Simonsen.  As Becca starts her own investigation, she starts a frenzy of activity among the vendors that leads you to believe more then one person might be involved.   Becca's investigation unlocks a secret from the past; a secret that was recently revealed by an accidental meeting between Abner and...you'll have to read the book and find out.  I can tell you that the closer Becca gets to the truth the more danger she encounters and the more desperate the murderer becomes.  An added bonus to the book is Becca's love interests.  Hmmm-are there two possibilities? 

Paige Shelton gives us a look inside  a world that most of us would never venture into.  Her characters are well written and the story flows smoothly from the start to the finish.  Along the way, you'll find yourself wishing you had a jar of Becca's fresh blackberry jam or pumpkin preserves.  For me; it made me pull out my kitchen gear and make some fresh "freezer" jam and blackberry cobbler.  I really loved this book and I am looking forward to the next book in this series.  You can read about Paige Shelton on her website at http://paigeshelton.com/

 Also, in case you missed my photos on Facebook...I met Paige this past weekend at a book signing!  Totally love her!

Paige Shelton, me, and Ellery Adams

14 comments:

me/mom/NANA said...

I love murder mystery books. Thanks to you this is one I now want to read and the recipes are a real bonus. Thanks for sharing.
Yvonne

Unknown said...

Recipes in a mystery novel is an awesome idea! I love the way you reviewed the book...you should become a professsional.

Lalabowers said...

I LOVE books with recipes. Some of my best recipes have come from books that I have read. Like the scones from the bake sale...

Unknown said...

Okay I will leave a blog, just so that I can enter the drawing. Just kidding, that is so awesome you meet Paige, you look like you had the time of your life. Keep writing so I can be entertained.

Paige Shelton said...

Aw, thanks so much, Sabrina! Saturday was so much fun, and Sara's correct, you write a very compelling review. Much appreciated!

Best,
Paige

Unknown said...

I can't think of much better stuff than a murder-mystery and recipes in the same book!! The review was great and I'm definitely intrigued with the book. Great job Sabrina!!!
Julie

Donna said...

Ok, Paula, me, too. Who doesn't love an opportunity to get something free (book?)! Anyhoo, hmnn, is it the canning that makes this book remind you of me? You are a great writer and I agree you have missed your calling. Oh, and uh, speaking of canning...I am off to prepare something special to enter into the Utah State Fair. Donna

Christine said...

Well Ms Kate, looks like you have done it AGAIN!!! You are simply the best informative person to tell us about these great books you read. Oh my goodness! You comments should be placed on the back of these authors books!! You know how the person makes a comment from "The New York Times" or the "Philadelphia Times" or the "San Francisco Chronicle." You definitely have a knack, Ms. Kate/Sabrina for bringing these authors books ALIVE. Guess what? I'm off to the bookstore again this weekend to purchase "FARM FRESH MURDER" by Paige Shelton, just because of YOU! It sounds very intriguing and tasty with the recipes included. WAY TO GO. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

gbeck said...

My list of books to read grows everytime I read your blog. I love farmers markets, so I definitely need to read a mystery book that involves a farmers market. Next Saturday I'll have to look at all of the vendors at the farmers market and wonder what their secrets are.

Unknown said...

Yet again you have enticed me into reading another murder mystery. From your description of the book I am craving the fresh jam mentioned and your blackberry cobbler. I am also dying to hang out at a farmers market. Maybe if we hang out at the farmers market at Pioneer Park there will be a murder we can investigate!! There is a good chance of that there. LOL!!

Unknown said...

I shall leave a post because I would love to actually say at some point in my existence that I won a drawing! (With the exception of Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery" of course.) I have to say that I have been a regular at the Sugarhouse Farmer's Market over the past few weeks, buying green beans and corn. I've been a bit weary of the cantaloupe vendor. He just seems to give me the "heebie-jeebies". After reading your review, I think I will be spending my time at the Farmer's Market keeping a very watchful eye out for any furtive movements made by this man.

Unknown said...

Sabrina-I totally loved the review...you should become a real critic...truly! You always make me smile and curious about these books. I can't wait to find out who wins. I hope its me!

Unknown said...

wow....your review is awesome, very enticing, and totally involves you instantly with the story, and anxiously awaiting to find out more about the characters, as well! Your talent for reviewing will take you far, I'm sure. we never know what 'surprises' might be waiting....at the next Farmers Market!

angelabarra99 said...

you just do great reviews i might start reading :)