Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I'm writing a book?

I have some great friends who think I have the ability to write a book.  I'm not quite sure why they are under this impression, but I've decided to wet their appetites just a little, and give them something to think about.

Out of curiosity, I set out to find information on writing a book.  My resource?  The Internet of course.  You can find just about anything on the Internet these days.  All of the information I have gathered during my crash course pointed to one important thing.  They all agreed that the first sentence/paragraph was the most important part of the book.  I needed to find something to draw the reader in; to make them want to keep reading.  I've spent about ten hours of my personal time coming up with a story to tell.  I was going to write a murder mystery involving my alter ego, Kate Dahson, but I decided it would be best for me to start with a writing style I'm familiar with.  Basically, I have no imagination. This means my first book, novel, or grasping at straws, would need to be about something I'm familiar with since I only know how to write by sharing what I know.  The following is the beginning (and I truly mean beginning) to my very first book thing.  Are you ready?  I think it's pretty good.  In fact, I can't wait to find out what happens...if only that part would come to me!!!

This is my idea for a story...we'll see by your responses if it's worth the effort.

My concept is to write a story that follows a woman from her childhood years to adulthood.  It would be one novel featuring three books.  The first book would follow this child through her early years as she survives life in a chaotic family and suffers through abuse and neglect.  The second book would follow her through her teenage years as she struggles to find stability and sets out to change the direction her life is heading towards.  The third book would feature her as a married adult, living with the pressures of striving for perfection, when the perfect fairy tale ending she was looking for, doesn't quite turn out the way she plans it.

ALL ROADS LEAD TO THIS
A NOVEL OF DESPAIR, DETERMINATION, AND HOPE

BOOK ONE
A child’s journey through chaos

When we stepped off the plane in Portland that humid summer evening in 1982, I knew the events of the past year, or even the past twelve years of my life, would never be discussed.  I would receive no therapy for my experiences. No apologies for my suffering. No promises of a better future. It would be as if the beginning years of my life had never happened.  I would be expected to move forward and to forget.

If only I could forget.

14 comments:

Darilyn said...

When your book is done let me know because I would certainly read it.

Jaelann said...

That is awesome. You are well on your way. That coming from someone who has no idea how to write a book and absolutely no imagination. :-) Sounded great to me though.

Sara said...

You go, girl! It sounds like a very intriguing story so far...I can't wait to read it!

gbeck said...

I'm already interested. I really like the idea of a story in three books, I really love serial books.

Unknown said...

Passionate about writing a book - CHECK
Googled best way to begin - CHECK
Well written first paragraph - CHECK
I think you are definitely on your way.
Don't forget to say you "knew me when".

Unknown said...

I am very intrigued about what I will learn about you from reading your books...can't wait! Exciting!

Lalabowers said...

So then what happend?

Leah Anderson said...

You go girl! I'm coming to your first book signing!!!

Unknown said...

What a great start, I would read it for sure! Leah and I will be to your first book signing AND take you to dinner!

Unknown said...

I loved it! that is a totally fascinating beginning..... would love to read more !

Unknown said...

I really love the idea of you writing your books. You are AWESOME. Keep it going but next time can we maybe get 2 pargraphs 1 was to short.

Unknown said...

Well you are on your way, girl! Keep at it and also remember me too.

Christine said...

I can't believe you have gotten this far! Just think of how far you've come. Kate, you are well on your way to fame! We will for sure have a book signing "coming out party," with glamour, lights and of course the media. So, when you got off the plane in Portland, what else took place? I am eagerly awaiting to hear the very interesting and mysterious events that will take place. Please hurry and finish. I will definitely purchase your signed book. Go for it and GO BIG!!!

angelabarra99 said...

Im with Pam Don't forget to say you "knew me when i hope all your dreams come true we all support you and love you!!!!