Sunday, September 11, 2011

Master of Shadows by Angela Knight


Master of Shadows by Angela Knight is the next book in her Mageverse series. This book brings to light the world behind the court seducer, Le Belle Coeur. Also known as the Whore of Avalon, Belle spends most of her days seducing and breaking in new recruits and killing those that turn mad.  Although it's possible that some might find her assignment in the Mageverse exciting, Belle isn't able to find in any of these men the love and partnership she truly desires.


When one of the new vampires Belle is responsible for ends up as a suspect in the murder of a teenage werewolf, Belle finds herself investigating the case with Tristan, a member of the Knights of the Round Table. Together they not only fight the evil werewolf wizard Warlock, Arthur's known enemy, but they fight each other in an attempt to resist their desires and love for each other.

This is actually my first look inside the Mageverse series written by Angela Knight.  I have to say that I was a little worried about reading this book since the series is so well established and the world so incredibly developed. I decided to go in fresh with no known back story, and I resisted the urge to Google everything and anything about the Mageverse so my thoughts about the series couldn't be warped by anything I might have stumbled upon. No preconceived notions are found in this review. 

Angela Knight gives enough back story throughout Master of Shadows that it was easy to determine that she has created a world using the legendary stories of Author and the Knights of the Round Table, that  her world consists of vampires that are not evil, and that the Mageverse also consists of Werewolves, Dragons, and Fairies... all living together in the City of Avalon.  I could follow along quite easily and never felt like I was missing a piece of the story.  Even though I didn't know what characters came from previous books, I was still able to find them all engaging, and I was able to develop an emotional bond with quite a few of them.  So much so, that I plan to read this series from the beginning.

Oh, wait. Did I mention the love scenes? They be HOT! Most importantly the relationships in the book never seemed forced, and the sexual content is actually an integral part of the story (meaning the love scenes aren't just thrown in to sell books). With this being the first and only book I have ever read in this series, I think it is safe to assume that those that read this series have a vested interest in the series as a whole and are not reading it for the steamy love scenes alone.  In fact, for many reading this series, they probably see the City of Avalon nightly in their dreams; a true sign of brilliant writing. 

For other book recommendations and wonderful reviews check out The Season E-Zine Website ---->>>> HERE.

This review was first published at The Season.  

No comments: