Sunday, May 22, 2011

Click x 2

I'm actually quite surprised with myself.  I only bought two books this week for my Kindle. It's not that there weren't any other temptations out there, it's just that this week...  well, let's just say I was really trying to control myself.

My first purchase was Before the Witches: An Original Novella by Karina Cooper. (This is the only Kindle purchase I have ever read on the same day of purchase.) This novella sets the stage for her Dark Mission series, with the first book in the series, Blood of the Wicked, scheduled for release on May 31, 2011. The second book, Lure of the Wicked,  is set for release on June 28, 2011. 

You know, all I can really say is that I stumbled across some tweets by Karina Cooper and decided to check them out. I noticed she was releasing a novella  that would give back story on her new paranormal romance series, and thought...

This is a new series... starting, like, right now! Meaning... we can all we read it together and have fun talking about the books and about how incredibly hot the characters are and how wonderful a writer Karina Cooper is and, well... how incredibly hot the characters are.  I mean, really. Isn't that why we read paranormal romance in the first place?  I do.

In the novella you'll read about a witch named Katya Zhuvova.  Katya is a witch that has fled her country for a better life, landing in Seattle only to find herself forced to live in a brothel, one of many victims in the sex slave trade.  On the night before her planned escape Katya meets super hot Seattle cop, Nigel Ferris, who has been investigating the circumstances surrounding Katya's living situation.  But before Katya can escape the brothel and before Nigel can arrest the man responsible for her living arrangements, a series of earthquakes and other disasters happen bringing about a permanent change to the world as we know it and moving us one step closer to the Dark Mission series.

Before the Witches by Karina Cooper is a fast paced read with plenty of action and a couple of, eh... love scenes that you'll want to thank Karina for later. Seriously, I loved the novella and I'm hoping some of my coworkers will join me in reading this series.  So, what say ye coworkers?  Care to start a new paranormal romance series with me so we can get together during lunch and talk about the goodness we've been partaking of during our off hours?  HINT: If you're a follower of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward it's a safe bet that you're going to love the Dark Mission series.

Before the Witches is available on both the KINDLE and the NOOK and the price is only $1.99. You can read more about Karina Cooper and her Dark Mission series on  her website HERE!

The second book I bought this week:

Confessions of a Freelance Penmonkey by Chuck Wending. 

This second book is a collection of 50+ essays that cover every topic under the sun regarding why you shouldn't be a writer.  Okay, maybe it isn't quite about that,  but there is an essay titled… “No, Seriously, I’m Not F**king Around, You Really Don’t Want To Be A Writer”.  If you want to be a writer, or if you're already a writer and just want to become a better writer, then I highly recommend this book.

Plus the cover art rocks! Seriously. Haven't you ever bought a book because of the cover? I have. More than once.

And for those of you following the Turning series by Dawn Kirby, the series now has it's own link at the top of the page. So, if you've missed a week or just can't get enough of Nicholas, Alana and Thomas, you can now read the series in its entirety as it unfolds. Totally cool!

4 comments:

David Cranmer said...

Thanks for the introduction to these authors, Sabrina. All new to me.

Sara said...

Sounds like an excellent series! I'll read it with you, Sabrina/Kate :) I don't know if I can keep up with your pace (what do you read, 4 books a week?) but I'll try my best. I LOVE paranormal romance...you name it, vampires, witches, faeries, and the like. I can't wait to read it. I like how the books are coming out sooner than a YEAR apart. That gets frustrating. And, can I just say that I am digging the name "Katya"? It sounds so mystical. Anyway, great review, as always. Loves!

Sabrina E. Ogden said...

Sweeet! Sandi is signing up to pre-order, too and Jacque said she was interested last week. I'll be placing the order some time this week and will let you know when the books arrive. Oh, and Naarda asked me to pick up a copy for her niece! It'll be fun to have someone to discuss the books with! I promise you won't be disappointed. =)

gbeck said...

I am going to buy a Nook really soon and I now know what one of my very first purchases is going to be. I can't wait to start on the series and discuss it with folks at work!