Sunday, October 24, 2010

My Day Stalking Lee Child...

 This is being taken from my family blog - The Ogden Family! With Updates!

Today was fantastic. We left the hotel around 10:00 this morning and headed to the Financial District to scope out (I can't believe I used the word "scope" in this post-I am a STALKER) the Borders where Lee Child would be doing his book signing. We took a quick stroll through Battery Park and wandered the grounds of Trinity Church. Then I stood in line at the book store and after a short wait was introduced to Lee Child. His eyes are just as beautiful in person as they are in those pictures I've been seeing in the back of those books he's been writing. When the book store employee told him I had flown in from Salt Lake just for his book signing, he seemed a little surprised. Actually, I believe the first words were, "no you didn't." Then when I told him that it was indeed true, he said, "are you crazy..." So not the words I was going for. I think I responded with, "no, I'm in love." And I don't think I bothered to clarify that I was in love with Jack Reacher either. It didn't matter though, he seemed very appreciative that I would plan my vacation around him and was very kind. I have to admit that I was a little star struck. I meant to get a book signed for a friend as a surprise, but when asked I gave them the name Katherine. What the heck was that about? I know a Kathy and a Katie, but I don't know a Katherine.  I was in the middle of personal tweet to the intended friend when I realized my mistake. I was horrified and was totally ready to burst into to tears.  Richard thought it was funny and laughed all the way back to the hotel.  Don't worry, dear readers, I already have a taker for the book...the very person it was intended for can actually use it.

After our rest we headed to Barnes & Noble.  They are so much better at these book things than Borders. But, I have to admit, I was still a tad bit nervous about going.  I almost backed out, but Richard insisted that I attend.  I mean, after all, I did plan my vacation around this guy.  Remember that dream I posted on my book blog about the police waiting for me at Barnes & Noble and arresting me for stalking? Well, there was an officer inside the building when I arrived, but she didn't seem to be looking for me and no arrest was made. I was surprised to find out that not only would Mr. Child be doing book signings, but he would also be doing a short lecture on Worth Dying For as well as a question and answer session with the audience, all while being filmed for a CBS special to air on Sunday morning. It was amazing and made me so thankful that I decided to hop that plane to New York. Afterward, I had the opportunity to stand in line with a lady named Nermin who was kind enough to pose for a picture with me. She was thrilled to hear about my vacation planning around my favorite authors and was happy I chose to come to New York to see Lee Child. Actually, I just think Nermin was happy to meet another woman that loves Jack Reacher as much as she does. I really do have a soft spot for that guy.

When it was my turn to get my books signed...again, Mr. Child was kind enough to acknowledge that he remembered me from earlier. I had no problem admitting that I had dedicated today to him and that I had been Facebooking and tweeting about it on Twitter all day. When preparing to sign the second book (yes, I bought four copies today), I told him I just needed his signature so I could give the book away on my book blog. That comment led to him asking for the name of my blog. When I told him, he recognized it and said, "so that's you, you're Andrew's fan." Yes, Mr. Child, I am Andrew's fan. Truth be told, while standing in line I was plugging the David Trevellyan series to Nermin after she stated she was having difficulty finding another author that she liked as much as you. I also plugged Joseph Finder's Nick Heller series. Please forgive me, but I really love to read and I meant it when I told you that I was a huge fan of Mr. Grant. I'm also, however, an equally huge fan of yours and I will forever be thankful for your kindness even though I am secretly dying to know just what was said to you about my book blog. It's an honest passion, that book blog of mine. I have your brother to thank for that. If I hadn't stumbled upon Even by accident I never would have discovered my secret passion for crime fiction, and, as I told you, I never would have discovered you!

Thanks for the kindness, Mr. Child. I'm signing up to be your friend on Facebook and will anxiously await your reply. When you asked if I was your friend tonight, I was a little nervous. I never signed up to be your friend because I didn't want to betray your brother. But then, when you think about it, I kind of already did that by making you my first author to plan a vacation around.  As it turns out, I woke up the next morning forgetting that I was supposed to sign up to be his friend on Facebook.  So in a mad rush, I turned on the computer bright and early and submitted my request...It took Lee Child 4 MINUTES to respond.  4 MINUTES!!!  I guess I didn't freak the guy out after all, but then again, he did say he accepts all female requests...that probably gave me sure in!

5 comments:

Sara said...

I am glad that you're back, Sabrina/Kate, and happy that you had such a good time.

Anonymous said...

I think you can now count Lee as one of your fans. I'm glad you had such an eventful trip.
Dennis

angelabarra99 said...

im glad your back even though u wanted to stay in NY,

Unknown said...

Lee Child is a good-looking guy... and your a good-looking woman.

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

That is a hilarious post! I'm quite the "Reacher Creature" myself, so I can understand. Well, up to a point . . . . I don't know that I'd plan a vacation around a book signing. But I do count chit chatting with Lee Child at a writers' conference lunch as a high point in my social life.

I found your blog through a FF twitter post and am glad I did!

Rose City Reader>